Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One more for the Road


We are winding down to the end of this contract on the ship - in a few days, I will run on water no longer.  (For now.)

I’ve come down with another bout of congestion and coughing, so I’m focussing on rest again.  Sleep has been the greatest healer, but it eats into my training, and it’s freaking me out.  Dayquil, Mucinex, Nyquil, Mucinex, rinse, repeat.

Up to now, I’ve followed Jeff Galloway’s training plan, which mean’s I’m a Run/Walk/Run kind of gal.  You know - the kind who probably gets in your way if you’re a flat out runner and you’re on my ass when I pull over to walk.  (Watch for my signals, by the way.  I always indicate when I’m about to slow down.)

A normal training week for me should be a 40-60 minute run at race pace (which I’m still trying to decide, but I’d love it to be under 12:30), a 40-60 minute hill session, and a long run on the weekend.

I’ve felt strong in my training runs keeping them under 12 minutes/mile, and my long runs lately have been increasing in speed as well, against my better judgment - my last 6 mile run was at 12:46.  The good news is, it was easy.  I don’t know why I have such a hang-up about slowing down my long run pace.  Wait, yes I do.  

  1. If I am running slowly, it doesn’t feel like I’m working.
  2. If I run slower, it’ll take longer to get through the run.  And time goes slowly enough on the treadmill.  Especially when there’s no TV.

I’m also keeping an eye on my achilles.  It tends to get a bit tender after 5 miles or so, so I’m stretching, rolling and icing.

I also tape it up with KT tape before runs over 5 miles,

 plus I wear compression socks or sleeves.

I feel like a goof-ball walking through the ship’s buffet wearing all this gear, but sometimes in running (like in life) you have to look like a goofball.

When we were training for the Princess, I was having real hip flexor trouble.  I ordered a foam roller from Amazon and would carry it to the gym while dressed in all my running gear.  Now THAT’s goofball.  I could just imagine what people must have been thinking - “What kind of a person goes on vacation with all THAT?”

A goofball, that’s who.

Of course, I’m not on vacation.  My vacation is home.  In just a few days.

What goofball stuff do you wear or carry with you to help you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment